Tuesday, December 2, 2008

This is MY blog... WOOF!

Its about time Momma let me start a blog!

My name is Destiny. I am 12 years old, and I am an American Eskimo Border Collie Mix. I am looking forward to my birthday celebration in January when I turn 13 - finally - a teenager!!

Last April I got awfully sick. Momma took me to the vet, and found out that I have Chronic Kidney Failure (CRF). We suspect that my kidneys got weakened back when I was 7 and got into some rat poison. I got really sick back then too... but have been relatively healthy all my life.

I stayed in the hospital for 4 days while I was getting my system flushed and got lots of fluids. It was touch and go for a while, and I know my Momma was very sad without me. She just got dee-voorced from my Poppa... and I know she didnt want to live alone with out me... so I got better.

When I came home from the hospital, Momma had to give me fluids under my skin (SQ Fluids) every day. I didnt mind ... it was actually quite nice to be patted by Momma for 20 minutes a day, and she would sing to me my favorite songs like "Jiggly Pooch.. Jiggly Pooch.. fuzzy little pup all stuffed with fluff"... hee hee.. my Momma is funny... Also, after I got my fluids, I got a "Frosty Paws" ice cream for a treat!

After a while, I only had to get the fluids twice a week, and I had to go back to Dr. N every 6 weeks. I was feeling MUCH better, and had a great summer! Me and Momma went camping, hiking, boating... we even went to a doggie party! It was alot of fun!

Well, recently, I havent been feeling good again. Momma took me back to the vet, and I lost 5#'s... so I only weigh 35#'s right now. My creation level is at 4.2... which is up from 2.8 from the last visit. I like the Dr's who take care of me, but if they leave me alone for too long I bark and make a nuisance... so they bring me back to Momma in the waiting room to sit with her. Hee hee. I show them not to leave me alone!

I heard Dr. N tell Momma that my potassium levels were low, and I needed to start taking Aluminum Hydroxide so I would stop barfing up bile. She told Momma that I can eat what ever I want, just so long as its not fatty or greasy. The main thing is, I need to gain some weight. Dr N. said she wasn't going to count me out yet. Good thing, because I am not ready to be counted out!

Momma is pretty upset since the last visit. I know she is just really worried about me. I havent wanted to eat much the last few weeks... but this new Aluminum Hydroxide medicine seems to be making me feel better. Also, Momma has been giving me more benazipril for my high blood pressure. I also have to eat yucky fish oil supplements. I dont like them, but Momma says I need them for the Omega 3's. What ever that means.. blech!

The good news is, after my vet appointment, Momma dropped me off at Mike's house (Mike is Momma's boyfriend... I really like him alot because his Mom feeds me treats and lets me watch TV all day)... and he gave me some Rutabagas - YUM YUM YUM! They are so good! I ate them all up!! Mike called Momma at work to let her know that I ate them all up, and Momma was very happy. My Grandpa owns a rutabaga farm - I cant believe I havent tried these before!! Now I get them every day, and all the medicines that i have to take are mashed up in them. The rutabaga's are so tasty I dont even notice the nasty fish oils! YAY!

So, now Momma cooks for me every day. I could get used to this kind of treatment! She makes me egg whites and boca burger. She told me this morning she found a recipe for tofu, beans, and she will mix in rutabaga - sounds good... we will have to try it!

Last night, I had a bad night. I woke Momma up at 2am to let me out. I had to pee soooo bad.... and, I just kinda wanted to stay outside. It was sort of nice out... and sitting on the porch was making me feel better. Of course, Momma cant sleep when I am outside... poor Momma. She did make me come in after a while and we watched Animal Planet together on the couch... but I had to keep getting up to go out to pee.

Momma called Mike today to let him know I wasnt feeling well, and he picked me up from the apartment - I got to ride in his van! I cant wait to tell Momma about my day.. she is at work right now, but when she comes to pick me up, I will tell her all about it.

Its good to know people are here to take care of me. Thanks for reading my blog. I think it will help other doggies and dog-moms out there who have CRF. Momma was saying there arent many happy stories. Sure, I have some bad days, but I have had lots of good days. I am really happy Momma gave me a chance back in April and spent all that money on me. I know its been expensive for her to do all my treatments and buy all my medications... but I am doing the best I can to be with her as long as possible. Most days are really good so far.... and thats all we can really ask for - right?