THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, January 25, 2009

My promise to Destiny

When Destiny fell ill back in April... there were a few long and scary days where I wasn't sure if Destiny would pull through. I was heartbroken because we had just gotten out on our own... it was supposed to be me and her against the world - the Adventures of Cilly and Destiny! I had grand plans of taking her camping, hiking, swimming - all the things we loved to do... and then in a moment, all those plans were put on hold.

As she was healing and on the road to recovery, as I was administering fluids to make her stronger and well, I promised her that this summer - if she pulled through - if she had strength - would be the best summer of our lives.



I promised her long afternoons of lazing in the sun. I promised her napping and flicking butterflies off her ears... I promised her swimming, hiking, and seeing beautiful things. And, to the best of my knowledge - she wanted all those things to come true, because she got strong enough and well enough to experience them all. I lived out my promise to her, and took her to all our favorite places last summer.

One place in particular is a 200' waterfall in the mountains of western Maine. Its a gem of a place, not that many people know of it, and its always been a magical place for me and my girl. I was anxious to take her back there, and I was thrilled to show it to Mike and Derby the Dalmatian for the first time.

Destiny was still shaky from just recovering from her first bout of renal failure. I wasn't sure she would be able to handle such a hike.




But my girl, the Queen of Ten-Ass-City.... took to the trail and hiked gallantly along side Derby.

To get to the waterfall, we have to cross a river 5 times... some areas were easy to cross... others were a little scary. At one point, Destiny's reign over Ten-Ass-City was being challenged, and it didn't look hopeful that she would have the nerve to cross over with the rest of us.




I kept her leash tight so she knew I wouldn't let her be swept down the rapids... and I kept saying "C'mon Des! You can do it! I've got you! C'mon Destiny!"..... Mike and Derby got across, and he joined in the cheering section... "C'mon Des! C'mon Girl! You can do it!"

Since it was a holiday weekend, there were alot of people hiking along with us.... and soon, as people hop-scotched across the rocks and made their way to the other side of the river, and they looked back at the timid white dog.. and something about her made them join in... "C'mon girl! C'mon Destiny!"

Before I knew it, a dozen strangers were cheering on my girl... she looked at all of us with hesitation, then she looked at me with determination.... and she leapt into the water and made her way over to us.... with tears in my eyes, I joined in the applause and cheers that the complete strangers had engaged in.... little did they know the battle my girl had fought to be there that day - little did they know who they were cheering for.... they were cheering for the White Wonder... Destiny - the Queen of Ten-Ass-City. She made it across and was greeted with pats on the head -"Atta girls" and I even saw some people doing high-5's...

That moment will live in my heart forever.

Once we crossed that tenuous part of the river, the rest of the hike was a piece of cake, and we approached a 200 foot waterfall....


We stayed there a few hours... long enough to eat lunch - talk with fellow hikers, and gather strength for the trek back.





Appropriately enough.... this location is named
Angel Falls.

I received Destiny's ashes back on Thursday, along with a Tera-cotta mold of her paw print. I promised Destiny as I sat with her last Friday that I will take her back to Angel Falls, and she will forever be the Queen of Ten-Ass-City.... and that moment that she showed to herself, showed me, and showed all those wonderful strangers what she was made of, will live on forever.




30 comments:

Roxie, Sammy, Andy and Shermie said...

Mom's eyes are leaking again.

Destiny will be THE angel of Angel Falls. What a beautiful place to go to think of her and remember everything she has helped you through.

Roxie, Sammy & Andy

Raising Addie said...

Oh Cilly... I am soooo very glad that you have this amazing memory to look back on. It brought tears to my eyes.

I could just picture all of the people cheering for her.

Thank you soooo very much for sharing this memory with us. I wish I could have known her more. She was so beautiful!

I hope you are doing well. You have been on my mind all week. Please know that I am here for you if you need anything.

Lots of Luv & Kisses
Staci, Addie and Lucie

Anonymous said...

Wow. Destiny saw more nice things in one day than other dogs in their entire lifetime :) This brought tears to our Mama's eyes again.

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

My mom has the goosebumps from reading this and is leaking too.

Fur some reason she will have two songs going thru her head the rest of the evening:

Helen Reddy's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miiUKBHxDQo

And Terry Jacks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfm-17pu6SQ

Addie's mom asked the khwestion that my mom and Princess Eva/Brice Duke of Destrukhtion's momma are wondering: they hope woo are doing okay...

Tank woo fur sharing this beaWOOtiful post!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Princess Eva and Brice said...

A beautiful memory. I'm sure that is one of many that you hold close to your heart.

We'll all be with you in spirit and crying with you when you go back to Angel falls.

Princess Eva & her momma

Eduardo said...

That was a beautiful story! Thank you so much for sharing your story it did make my Mommy's eyes leak though, but it's ok! You have been in my Mommy's prayers & my snuggles. I went to the dog park today & we seen a dog that looked just like Destiny, she was beautiful.
Hugs & Snugs
Eduardo the Snuggle Puggle

Samantha: said...

My mom is crying as she types in awe of your courage and strength to tell this beautiful memory. Angel Falls is such an amazingly gorgeous spot and what fortitude it took to get there with Destiny. We are thinking of you so much and send you Hugs and Positive thoughts, xoxo Sam and her mom

Casper and pals said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful story with us. It made me cry. You describe it so well that I felt like I was there too cheering her on to cross the river.

I am so glad you had such a wonderful summer with Destiny doing all those special things together- camping, hiking, swimming.

Angel Falls is indeed a beautiful place for your angel Destiny to live on forever.

Take care,

Gwyn and Casper, Buddy, Nikki and foster dog Sunny

Mason Dixie said...

What a great memory to have of such a beautiful pup. Thank you for sharing it with every one. And may her spirit help every pup across that river.

Amber and Nala said...

What a wonderful story and one that I am happy you will always have in your memory. :)

Nala & Amber

Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

this is possibly the saddest and most inspiring post I have ever read.

Thank you for posting it and I am so sorry to read about Destiny crossing the Rainbow Bridge.

I am crying as I type this, such a beautiful memory for you to hold in your heart.

Jeannie xxxxx Marvin's Mum

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to read of Destiny crossing to the Bridge; what a lovely story. My Meg will have greeted her with a great deal of enthusiasm, but also knows to be gentle. We lost Meg two years ago, to cancer, after her chemo stopped working. Reading your post made me cry, even after all this time. We have a new girl, Faith, and she is healing us. Incidentally, we named her Faith - Faith that it was okay to get another furkid, to give our hearts out again...

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

What a beautiful memory for you and your angel of Angel Falls! It was very hard to read so I am sure it was difficult for you to write, but it is just a magnificent expression of your love for each other.

Woos, the OP Pack

the magic sleigh said...

Leaky Mommy, sad Husky... I am thrilled that you had the strength to write this, what a wonderful, touching memory for you, now it is time to go give Mommy a kis, and stop the leaking..
Kira, The Florida Siberian

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

A beautiful tribute, and how wonderful that you were able to share such special moments and savour them. It is such moments that make our lives richer.

She will always be there with you, as all our friends who have left.

Tom, Tama-Chan and #1

Aki and Poopie said...

hellow there...

we are very happy when we read this post... somehow, even with the passing of destiny, we are comforted by the idea that you were able to share this wonderful memory together.

like addie, we wished that we could have known her better. she was indeed a beautiful and kind hearted girl and we know that she was and will forever be your angel here on earth and in the rainbow bridge.

we are praying that you are always well. thank you so much for sharing this with us.

drooly kisses,

Aki, Poopie and their manang

Stella said...

What a blessing that trip was to you and Destiny. This plucky little dog will now be a memory for all of us!

Kisses,
Stella

Arran, Arthur and Mum said...

oh gosh, you've set me off crying again. What a truly wonderful story. A brilliant tribute to a wonderful dog. I'm sure all those other hikers couldn't fail to sense the wonderful spirit in her.
~Dee

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story. Way to go, Destiny! There's so much love here, and on all the dog blogs every day. Angel Falls is beautiful.

Take care,
Joey

Asta said...

What a wondwfulwondwful memowy of a bwave bootiful giwl..
It's hawd fow Mommi to type now, caue of hew leaky eyes..Destiny was and is a special angel..how vewy appwopwiate to go back to hew falls
smoochie kisses
ASTA

Crikit, Sparky, Ginger! said...

Your beautiful Destiny will be cherished in God's Garden and the lovely memory of Angel Falls will help comfort you in difficult times.

We wish we had met before this but we are honored to share in this lovely memory and we hurt with you.

Love and hugs, Crikit, Sparky, Ginger and mommy M

Pedro said...

What an absolutely beautiful story. I didn't know Destiny but if I had been by that river I would have been cheering her on louder than anyone else. I have a brown/black version of Destiny at my house along with a fiesty little chihuahua and two senior cats. These animals are my family as much as any human is. Stories like this touch my heart because there is such love behind them. How wonderful that you were able to give Destiny such a beautiful summer. My heart is with you in the loss of your beautiful girl.

Rachel (along with Pedro the chihuahua)

Ruby and Penny said...

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful memory.
Her spirit will live on in your heart and the hearts of everyone she touched.
Take care.
Love Ruby

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

That is such a wonderful goal for Destiny to reach. We are sure that you will remember it forever as well as all those strangers that cheered her on..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Lacy said...

w00f's, wow, what a fantastic doggy she was...always wanting to please u..i wonder if the hoomans that go to "angel falls" no its watched over by an angel...it took several times coming an reading this fur mama to b able to post a comment...tears keep coming...

b safe,
~rocky~

Jack & Moo said...

LES here, what a beautiful memory. Destiny will always be the Angel at the falls.

Woos,
Star & Jack

D.K. Wall said...

What a beautiful, moving tribute and lovely memory to keep of Destiny.

Vicki luvs Chopper ! said...

Been thinking of you !!

Beautiful story...beautiful place..
Was memories you have of your Girl.

Amber-Mae said...

Bootiful post! We are so sad she's gone. She was a gorgeous girl, no doubt about it.

Butt wiggles,
Solid Gold Dancer

Huskee and Hershey said...

Our mom was wiping her eyes and blowing her nose when she read this post. It is so touching the way Destiny overcame her hesitation at crossing the river. we think the cheering crowd must have spurred her on to a certain extent, but the real reason is because she trusts you and wants to be with you. Love and Trust made her jump into the river!
It's really great that you were able to keep your promise and take her to all her favourite places.